aars forum Index du Forum

aars forum
Echanger, questionner, proposer, discuter au sujet de vos photos d'arts rupestres, c'est le but de ce Forum.

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    aars forum Index du Forum -> aars forum -> styles des figures
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
AlessandroMN

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Déc - 06:53 (2017)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

The existence in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï of paintings recalling the iconography of the famed Niola Doa petroglyphs was recognised at the time of the first reports, in the 90s. By scanning in 3D with a digital camera the already described evidence for a “Niola Doa culture” in this major site, a few but significant additional details are revealed.

Click here to read the review published on Zenodo

Enjoy

Alessandro

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Lun 18 Déc - 06:53 (2017)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Ursula

MessagePosté le: Mar 26 Déc - 22:50 (2017)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

Are the „fat humans“ in Niola Doa wrestlers ?

Wrestling is an old tribal tradition, nubian wrestlers are shown on paintings already in an Old Kingdom tomb
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/JSH/JSH1988/JSH1502/jsh1502b.pdf

In the last century some photographers visited East Africa and documented these ancient traditions.
On pictures of George Rodger, end of the 1940s, there are some details to see which have parallels in Niola Doa

https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-culture/society-arts-culture/george-rodge…

The winner of the competition between clans/villages/tribes got a fur trophy, an animal tail or animal skin and
was famous for the rest of his life

The traditional body decorations of the east african tribes are well documented for example
“Nuba Personal Art” by James C. Faris 1972 or „Nuba“ by Leni Riefenstahl 1973
Carol Beckwith and Angela Fisher (several books)

Skirts from girls in Ethiopia

Wish you all the best in 2018 – Ursula

Visiter le site web du posteur
AlessandroMN

MessagePosté le: Dim 14 Jan - 19:05 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

Dear Ursula,
Thank you very much for the pictures you posted. They offer an excellent ethnographic analogy. The trophy detail is compelling. The “fat” Niola Doa humans many friends of ours like to see as young ladies could be a wrestler but to prove they are wrestler we need to find a wrestling scene. Instead, we are finding more “Niola-Doa” like paintings like the ones in the Kéléo–I site and the discovery in the Eli-1 Shelter (AARS Allevard conference, 25th of may 2017), which are showing, again and again, the same recursive poses. What we can say for sure is that we see in engravings and paintings the same aesthetic so nicely depicted in your posted images.
All the Best.
Alessandro

Ursula

MessagePosté le: Dim 25 Mar - 11:41 (2018)    Sujet du message: Ennedi - Tchad - Niola Doa Paintings and Petroglyphs Répondre en citant

Dear Alessandro

I wonder if there are wrestling scenes in South Kordofan, the region where this tradition is very old.

A few weeks ago I made a photo of this painting in the southern part of the Ennedi mountains, one can even recognize the trophy

All the best
Ursula

AlessandroMN

MessagePosté le: Lun 9 Avr - 17:32 (2018)    Sujet du message: More Niola Doa like paintings Répondre en citant

Dear Ursula,
In my count (excluding your unnamed site) I total six sites with "Niola Doa like paintings". This number also includes the dubious cases documented by  Choppy and collaborators as hand drawings. However, I just discovered one more example while reviewing the pictures of Terkey in my private collection. As you may know, Terkey is a touristic hot spot. In the background of a well-known panel you can find also reproduced in published papers I discovered a figure in the Niola Doa pose. This figure is so faint that crops out only in my best shot after D-stretching. Thus, I am pretty sure that more will surface by spending more time on the field, even in sites visited every year by hundreds of tourists.
All the Best
Alessandro

Ursula

MessagePosté le: Mar 10 Avr - 10:16 (2018)    Sujet du message: Six sites with Niola Doa like paintings in Ennedi Répondre en citant

Dear Alessandro

I have a question concerning your number of 6 sites with Niola Doa like paintings:
Does this include the sites Ga Kowrou, the „head“ in Terkei and Deli too?

All the best
Ursula

Invité
Invité

MessagePosté le: Mar 10 Avr - 11:59 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

Yes, the first one you mention was discovered by Civrac.
Reference: Civrac Marie-Anne 2013. Quelques peitures du site de Terkey-Bowdé III, Ennedi Tchad: Les cahiers de l’AARS. 16 : 57-88.

The second one you mention is the Kéléo site in the Kéléo Hill (carte IGN 1961, Archeï- Feuille NE-34-IV). It is wrongly named Deli by the tour guides. The Deli hill is at a short distance to the south of the shelter. This site, although known to all the tour operators selling the Ennedi, was first reported by Pascale Hégy at the Aix AARS meeting in 2015. You are going to find a paper on this site (the photographic survey is mine) on the new issue of the AARS Cahiers.

Presently, you can find a 3D model of the Kéléo I paintings where you can see better than on paper the heads, the associated wrist pendants (and also divine one body) on the following link (allow time to properly load the 3D model in the visualizer). Click the links:

https://sketchfab.com/models/499b6f9a281e47da9f75aa95576a1874

Please, review also fig 20 and 21 in:

https://www.academia.edu/35064483/The_Niola_Doa-like_motifs_in_the_Gran_Rip…

For your statistic: the new case from the main site of Terkey is not yet published and it is not counted.

The paper about the Niola Doa like paintings of the Eli-1 shelter will be published very soon on the Bollettino del Centro Camuno di Studi Preistorici.

AlessandroMN

MessagePosté le: Mar 10 Avr - 14:28 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

Sorry, I confused Ga Kourou with Terkey-Bowdé.

No, Ga Kourou is not on my list. Anyway, this place name (Ga Kowrou) in your mail is misspelt: the right form is "Ga Kourou".

Look at the list of international official place names (fundamental to avoid gross mistakes in scientific papers):

http://geonames.nga.mil/namesgaz/gnsquicksearch.asp

Name (Type)Geopolitical Entity Name (Code)First-Order Administrative Division Name (Code)Latitude, Longitude DMS (DD)MGRSFeature Designation (Code)  Display Location Using  Ga Kourou   (Approved - N) 
Chad (CD)Ennedi-Ouest (CD28)16° 53' 53" N, 021° 28' 14" E
(16.89798, 21.470544)34QED5011468329plateau (PLAT)   

Anyway, it is very near to Kéléo. I would be not surprised to find more Niola Doa like paintings just a little bit more aside from the trafficked track in the sandy corridor between the Kéléo and Deli hills. Oddities in rock art are always suspicious.

All the Best

AMN

Ursula

MessagePosté le: Dim 15 Avr - 18:22 (2018)    Sujet du message: Chad - Ennedi - Niola Doa likes ? Répondre en citant

Ennedi - Niola Doa likes ?

left : painted heads from Ga Kourou - right : petroglyphs from Niola Doa ND01

All the best - Ursula

andrasz

MessagePosté le: Sam 28 Avr - 07:46 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

This figure is in the same Ga Kowrou 07 shelter, to me there is no question:

http://www.fjexpeditions.com

Invité
Invité

MessagePosté le: Sam 28 Avr - 10:34 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

Please, note that on the official IGN map the place name Is Ga Kourou. The geographic entity is a Plateau. 
All the Best

Ursula

MessagePosté le: Dim 29 Avr - 10:38 (2018)    Sujet du message: Chad - Niola Doa like paintings in Ennedi Répondre en citant

Niola Doa like paintings discovered 2005 also in the eastern part of the Ennedi Mountains

https://arachne.dainst.org/project/afrarchcologne/entity/5050537/image/5050…

all the best - Ursula

Pier Paolo
Invité

MessagePosté le: Lun 30 Avr - 08:23 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

I’m agree, Andras. 
As we wrote on our book, there are several paintings in Ennedi very similar to the “Niola Doa” heads or bodies. Grande Riparo, Deli 06 (Keleo), Terkei Bowde III, Ga Kowrou 07, Anoa are the most known sites.

AlessandroMN

MessagePosté le: Jeu 3 Mai - 10:34 (2018)    Sujet du message: Niola Doa-like paintings. A growing list ...but... Thanks! Répondre en citant

Dear Ursula and Andras, 

Thank you very much for posting and contributing generously to such fascinating debate with your excellent pictures. 

The original list of the Niola Doa-like sites presented during the AARS meeting of the 25th of May 2017, in Allevard, includes the following published sites (in order of reporting): 

•    Gran Riparo d’ Archeï (Archeï VII) 

•    Soboro 8A 

•    Soboro 14 

•    Terkey-Bowdé III 

•    Kéléo 

•    Eli-I (in press) 

Now I can add Ga Kourou to the list, which is beyond any doubt a site with Niola Doa-like paintings. I believe we can consider the stick on shoulders as the “silver bullet” since the pose alone and fattish appearance are not enough for a safe attribution to this peculiar style. The picture in the online archive pointed out by Ursula is one more good shot, but the location and context are unclear to me. I look forward to the novelties that will undoubtedly emerge at the Agde meeting. However, this kind of paintings remains very rare. If the list of Niola Doa-like painting is growing, the list of painted sites is ... exploding! Oddities usually reflect poor research, but frequency matters, even after considering the taphonomic factor, really severe in the Sahelian region to which the southern Ennedi belongs. 

All the Best 

AMN 

AlessandroMN

MessagePosté le: Ven 4 Mai - 09:56 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï Répondre en citant

Ursula a écrit:
Niola Doa like paintings discovered 2005 also in the eastern part of the Ennedi Mountains

https://arachne.dainst.org/project/afrarchcologne/entity/5050537/image/5050…

all the best - Ursula

After checking the Koln archive online (Thanks Ursula!) with the pictures shot by Lenssen-Erz, Tilman in 2005 (published online on March 2016) I found that all the pictures of  "Niola Doa-like" paintings refer to the same site, designated as Mornou. Therefore, it is just one site in an area dotted by hundreds! 
1_LINK
2_LINK
These two images are also the best ones of the lot. 
Thus we can add to the list of the published site also Mornou, although no description or a reference is provided. 
Anyway, I have to note that the Koln archive is sometimes inaccurate about locations (maybe for preservation concerns). For instance, the site published by Civrac (2014) with the informal name of Dibirké, actually a hill in front of the Dégédey Plain (on the IGN map), is published as Aski, a hill that on the IGN map is well to the north of the actual location. For this reason, I cannot check the Tilman's sites against the easternmost sites visited by Choppy but I can do only educated guess on the sketch maps published by Tilman in 2007... 
We can add also Terkey (the main site) as a good candidate for the list since there is a very faint figure in the Niola Doa pose with buttocks in evidence. Unfortunately, there are not enough preserved details to make a 100% safe attribution. 
Enjoy
AMN

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 15:03 (2018)    Sujet du message: The “Niola Doa-like” motifs in the Gran Riparo d’Archeï

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    aars forum Index du Forum -> aars forum -> styles des figures Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation