aars forum Index du Forum

aars forum
Echanger, questionner, proposer, discuter au sujet de vos photos d'arts rupestres, c'est le but de ce Forum.

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

remains of architecture?

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    aars forum Index du Forum -> aars forum -> curiosités
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
LVS

MessagePosté le: Jeu 14 Jan - 23:10 (2016)    Sujet du message: remains of architecture? Répondre en citant

Dear colleagues,
during our exploration of prehistoric occupation at Jebel Sabaloka (Sixth Nile Cataract) in central Sudan, we have encountered at several sites the presence of holes at certain convenient places of the local granite rocks. The measuring of these holes at one of the sites last November brought to light quite consistent (as if standardized) data of the holes as to their width, inclination, and depth. In this (and some other) respect(s), the holes differ from those used by birds as nests.
Below, you can see three photographs of the holes, with "holes_1..." showing some wooden sticks inserted by us in order to see the direction of the boring.
We tend to interpret these holes as evidence of light architecture (shelters) created of branches inserted into these holes at these places. So far, we know of no such occurrences from the Sudan (as conirmed also by our Sudanese colleagues), which makes it more difficult to interpret the findings as well as to date them.
Has anyone of you seen holes of this (or similar) type elsewhere in (north) Africa?
We will greatly appreciate your opinion or any reference in this respect.
With best wishes,
Lenka Varadzinova Sukova
Sabaloka Project Director
Czech Institute of Egyptology, Prague

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Jeu 14 Jan - 23:10 (2016)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
andrasz

MessagePosté le: Dim 13 Mar - 08:09 (2016)    Sujet du message: remains of architecture? Répondre en citant

Dear Lenka,

I was thinking long and hard for some time now where I saw something similar, it finally clicked. There are almost identical holes in similar granite rock at one locality upstream in the main valley of Jebel Arkenu. I remember on first sight I was convinced they were man-made, but on close scrutiny we have come to the conclusion that they must be natural, there was no indication that the holes were worked. There is another rock at Uweinat on the way up to the Emeri highland (we saw it together) which has a mysterious small bore hole go right through it, which again we concluded is likely natural.

Unfortunately now I do not have any photos of the Arkenu site with me, but I think I do have an old slide taken, will check and scan for you when I can.

I have also seen larger but otherwise similar holes in granite at some localities at the upper Brandberg in Namibia:
http://www.fjexpeditions.com/expeditions/past/namibia15/P1293.jpg

http://www.fjexpeditions.com

LVS

MessagePosté le: Jeu 17 Mar - 13:19 (2016)    Sujet du message: remains of architecture? Répondre en citant

Dear Andras,
thank you for your suggestions. I have gone through all my photos from Uweinat and Arkenu, and found no holes similar to the Sabaloka ones. I will be glad if you find the old slide.
All the best and safe travels!
Lenka

Ursula

MessagePosté le: Sam 2 Avr - 16:02 (2016)    Sujet du message: remains of architecture? Répondre en citant

„Has anyone of you seen holes of this (or similar) type elsewhere in (north) Africa?“

Dear Lenka

I have seen similar holes still in use by nomads in Algeria and Chad,
they hung various household items on the wooden sticks - here in Ennedi

holes of the same size as yours in a cave together with hooks – Gilf Kebir

oval holes interpreted as ladders – Gilf Kebir

big square holes from Djedefre's Watermountain

There is no doubt that these are all man made. The number of holes and the distribution/arrangement
of the holes on your pictures are different. In the background of the 2nd picture there is a nice example of tafoni.

All the best
Ursula

Visiter le site web du posteur
LVS

MessagePosté le: Jeu 14 Avr - 11:47 (2016)    Sujet du message: remains of architecture? Répondre en citant

Dear Ursula,
thank you very much for your comments and photographs!
With best wishes,
Lenka Varadzinová

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 07:59 (2017)    Sujet du message: remains of architecture?

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    aars forum Index du Forum -> aars forum -> curiosités Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | forum gratuit | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation